The Air Force Historical Foundation’s newest honor – its James H. “Jimmy” Doolittle Award – was established to recognize a unit that has displayed bravery, determination, discipline, esprit de corps, and superior management of joint operations while accomplishing its mission under extremely difficult and hazardous conditions in multiple conflicts, and thus has made a sustained, significant contribution to Air Force history.
It is named after aviation pioneer James H. Doolittle – who served as a brigadier general, major general and lieutenant general in the United States Army Air Forces during World War II, and earned the Medal of Honor for valor and leadership as commander of the famous Doolittle Raid.
James H. Doolittle Award Winners
- 2011: 4th Fighter Wing, Seymour Johnson AFB, SC
- 2013: 720th Special Tactics Group, Hurlburt Field, FL
- 2014: 19th Airlift Wing, Little Rock AFB, AR
- 2015: 509th Bomb Wing, Whiteman AFB, MO
- 2016: 100th Air Refueling Wing, RAF Mildenhall, UK